Tuesday, May 28, 2013

FOCAL POINT THYATIRA: WHOSE LOOKING AT YOU

18 Write this letter to the angel of the church in Thyatira. This is the message from the Son of God, whose eyes are like flames of fire, whose feet are like polished bronze:
 19 “I know all the things you do. I have seen your love, your faith, your service, and your patient endurance. And I can see your constant improvement in all these things. Rev. 2:18-19


One can't help look at this picture and wonder....what happened here?  Pictured is the ruins of Thyatira....a church that was given high commendations......but there was a problem.   We'll unpack their problem that brought them to their ruin as the week unfolds.


I remember as a kid knowing when I was doing or did something wrong that my mom/grandmother had this look that we could feel them staring either at us, or through us with either anger or disappointment.   Maybe it was because I lied about something.  Maybe it was because  I didn't do what I know I was expected to do....whatever it was I knew that I was in trouble.

The church of Thyatira was in trouble....Jesus had been writing the seven churches to encourage them, commend them, as well as to offer correction to them before they were utterly ruined because of their sin.   He starts this letter off by telling them who He is, and even describing how He looks as He is looking upon this small assembly of Christ followers.   They were a church known for their love, their faith, their community service, and their patient endurance......so what possibly could they be doing wrong?  

What about you?  What are you known for?  Is it that you GO TO CHURCH every Sunday or Saturday?  Is it that you are constantly doing loving things to and for others?  Are you known for being a Golden Retriever or Lab, that is faithful to their friends, so much so that you will go through any and everything with them?   I mean all of these sound like stellar qualities and what we all want as we look for friends, a church, a job, a community......so what possibly could be lacking.

I won't get into what Thyatira was lacking today, but I do want you to think about what are you known for.......and then think about WHAT IS THE TRUTH ABOUT YOU?  When Jesus pointed out what each of these churches were falling short of, it wasn't a surprise to them....they knew.   Couples that attend our services every weekend are fully aware of what they are really struggling with in their marriage.    People aren't caught off guard when the message exposes sin in their lives.....which is why the thought is always " HOW DID THEY KNOW, I FEEL LIKE YOU ARE TALKING TO ME...."  See this church had a reputation with the public, but forgot about that JESUS knew what really was going on.  





Is this you......are you known by your co-workers, friends, family of being one way, and then behind closed doors, JESUS knows the real you?   So really you are living a lie.  TODAY is a brand new DAY, why not start it by being REAL with who you are, and where you are, and seeking the help & support you need?   I challenge you today to admit your sin to GOD, and someone else that cares enough to pray with you, support you....and ultimately see you work out your salvation in fear and trembling.   LGLP

No comments:

Post a Comment