Monday, August 5, 2013

LOVE DOES.........ALWAYS: REMEMBERING



 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. 1Cor. 13:4-8


We have such short memories.   We forget where we placed our keys, parked the car, where are our taxes from the previous year, where our or driver's license is, and depending on how many kids  you got even their names.     We also forget dates...you know times....like dr./dentist appointments.   We forget enrollment dates, birth dates, and for some even anniversary dates.   Of all the dates that slip our minds I think forgetting the anniversary one, has to be one of the worst.    Because that date is really supposed to mean something, a certain energy of intentionality is expected to be placed on this date.   

One year ago, this day I closed  a chapter in my life of working FT at SSM Homecare/Hospice to follow God's calling on my life to pastor.   There were mixed emotions.   Tears shed because of people that I deeply love (still do) I won't get to see everyday, and share life as had become routine for the bulk of my waking hours.   Tears shed because I knew that GOD called me, and that this wouldn't be easy, but it would be as rewarding as all of my years volunteering to be a part in building HIS KINGDOM.    Tears because although I had learned to lean on/rely on Him, I'd have to in wholly new and deeper capacity...and I needed to remember I can't try harder.....but rather submit more to His authority and power so that they both would be alive in me.

Today's verse says what LOVE is, and in context of my resting in the remembrance of what has all transpired this year I'd love to look at it through this lens:

LOVE IS PATIENT:  God thank you for teaching me your timing is always perfect.   Help me to communicate that to the flock so that they will develop in the patience you have for them.

LOVE IS KIND:  God thank you for showing me through every series that kindness is essential in daily living and that we are to approach people and circumstances with Jesus LIKE KINDNESS.  Help me to be kind-hearted in all I do, even when having to admonish others.

LOVE doesn't ENVY.....GOD I know who I am, I know intimately many of the people of Connections, and I don't desire another body of people.   I'm thankful for what it is you've have given me, and I pray each person is as thankful, if not more!

LOVE doesn't BOAST....GOD thank you that I am braggadocios.....I know I come close with my pride in my barbecue, but help me to remain humble in what you are doing in me, with me, and through me whether that is publicly, privately, or corporately.

LOVE doesn't dishonor others.....GOD I repent in this area, as I am certain (due to my imperfections) I had to in 365 have dishonored someone.   I give you permission to search my heart GOD and surgically remove any cells of dishonoring others that may exist.   I desire GOD to make every person that I come in contact with to feel special.


LOVE isn't SELF-SEEKING, EASILY ANGERED, or KEEPS NO RECORD OF WRONGS:  GOD thank you that what I do, I do it for you.  I don't look for the applause or approval of others, rather I seek GODLY counsel and mentoring so that I do what you've called me to do in excellence.   Thank you for helping me to not lose my cool, or hold people in bondage to their past failures.  Please help me to continue loving you and others in this vein.

LOVE doesn't DELIGHT IN EVIL, but REJOICES IN TRUTH :  Thank you God, that we haven't celebrated EVIL, but delighted in the truth of your SPIRIT being alive & present in the CONNECTIONS body!!!

LOVE ALWAYS PROTECTS......As a shepherd is supposed to GOD help me to grow in this area.   That I take time to tenderly care for the people of CALVARY, especially those under my immediate eye.   Give me eyes to see, ears to hear, and extremities to serve them with your power. 

I ask these things in JESUS NAME!  AMEN
 

No comments:

Post a Comment