Tuesday, July 16, 2013

LOVE DOES .........RESPECT: THE PARTY

It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking 1Cor. 13:5a

But in the following instructions, I cannot praise you. For it sounds as if more harm than good is done when you meet together. 18 First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it. 19 But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God’s approval will be recognized!
20 When you meet together, you are not really interested in the Lord’s Supper. 21 For some of you hurry to eat your own meal without sharing with others. As a result, some go hungry while others get drunk. 22 What? Don’t you have your own homes for eating and drinking? Or do you really want to disgrace God’s church and shame the poor? What am I supposed to say? Do you want me to praise you? Well, I certainly will not praise you for this!  1Cor 11:17-22

If we are all honest we like parties!  I mean there are so many different types and styles of parties....I mean there are literally parties to suit every taste.  You have:



Birthday Parties
Wedding Parties
Bachelor Parties
Political Parties
Office Parties
Going-away Parties
Divorce Parties
College Parties
Drunken Orgy Parties
Dope (drug) Parties
Graduation Parties
Congressional Parties



And the list goes on and ....and one would have to look from the outside to say...THESE PEOPLE, these humans, like or even love to party, to celebrate.   Even during the New Testament, the formation of the Church of Jesus Christ parties were popular.    They  were called feasts...but all the same they were a gathering of like-minded people with the purpose to celebrate or honor something or someone in their hearts. Which brings me to this point, Paul learned that the people of Corinth were having parties that literally shamed Jesus, because they were supposed to be worshipful, pertaining to the celebration & remembrance of Christ's sacrifice of dying on our behalf through the practices of communion but what was really going on was a party of different sorts.

People getting drunk, and eating to they were full, while the less fortunate sat outside waiting hoping that there would be something left for them to too enjoy.  But that's not what often happened.  Much like a High School party, some where excluded.  Some were allowed to stand on the outside and watch.   See at these parties God wasn't glorified, as a matter of fact His presence was likely not to even be there, because this type of party/gathering brought dishonor to God.   See love doesn't dishonor others.

I have wrestled all week with posting a blog or a response in light of the events on the news.  From the Zimmerman Verdict to that of the Normandy/Riverview School District busing their kids 30+ miles away from their homes.   While I will weigh in on these things.....I have to pause to ask the question what party am I associated with?  Is the party I'm associated with purposed to glorify God, and create an atmosphere that His Holy Presence is welcomed into?  Or is the party I'm affiliated with gatherings where I am literally disrespecting GOD through my conduct regarding others?  


Let me wrap this up.....just like the Corinthian church, we run the risk of getting in our Holy and UnHoly huddles and bashing the very people God's heart is breaking for.  See whether you feel like you represent Zimmerman, Trayvon, FHSD, Normandy, Riverview, Same Sex Marriage, or whatever the hot topic cause......at the end of it GOD is looking to see if you really do Love Him.   Much like Christ cornered Peter saying if you love me....feed my sheep.   If you love me tend to my sheep......see if you really LOVE THE LORD, if you really sing I LOVE JESUS, YES I DO, I LOVE JESUS howabout.....then that would mean the party you are affiliated with wasn't man made.   The party that you are affiliated with is really not even of this world, which means your conduct is an anomaly in this society.  Your heart breaks for every party involved, and your deepest desire is to demonstrate the love of GOD to every breathing soul......why?  Because LOVE DOES just that!   LGLP

No comments:

Post a Comment