Wednesday, April 10, 2013

DUCT DYNASTY FRIENDSHIPS: That Dog Don't Hunt

12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  John. 15:12-13

Anyone remember this movie: Fox & the Hound?  By far one of my favorite and first Disney movies that I really really GOT IT!  You know....about Friends.  Cherilyn has always made it a point to mention the desire to me that we'd  be friends, and not just friends but become one another's best friends.   See our marriage story is a unique one where we didn't get to know each other, or date for months or years before we became "comfortable" enough to pledge our lives to one another.  Nope, we met December 24, 2000, I proposed in February 2001, and we were married on May 27th 2001.  So we, following the Holy Spirit's prompting/leading married and were not each other's true friend.    I had never been married, and came from dysfunctional ones.   She had been married and divorced....both with a kid (which adds other dynamics and complexities) and we were learning each others ways, habits, etc.

Copper in this movie had decided he would stand between his master's muzzle and Tod the Fox, to say if you are going to kill him, that bullet, those buckshots will have to go through me.   Amazingly enough it shows the master his commitment to his friendship and the master ultimately surrenders and chooses not to kill Tod.    Jesus did the same thing for us....He stood between the wrath of GOD that we deserved....that because of our sins being upon us that we should be taken out before we destroy another life, and Jesus stood before the FATHER and between us and took it a step further, He actually took on what we should've gotten.   So as He's with his disciples trying to explain the WAY things really are suppose to be....He tells them that there is no greater love...than when a friend lays down their life for another.   Is that how you are in your friendships?

Cherilyn and I are there, and each day that commitment grows stronger.   I have friends....REAL FRIENDS and they know who they are, who are the model for this as well....where I have laid down my life for them, and they have for me.   I do have some casual friends, and Facebook friends that I too have an appreciation for as well....but to have a few that have never left my side (sure they got married, moved, etc.) but if I needed....they'd drop it all to be there for me I'm truly thankful for.   But this JESUS died for us, even when we were disregarding Him, and I wonder when and if our CHRISTIANITY will evolve to this degree of unconditional love....and commitment?  Will we forgive even though we know _______________________ (fill in the blank...we all have a past that we've screwed up) that they did?   This picture was taken 7  years ago for our 5th year Anniversary....and despite all that we been through THIS IS MY BEST FRIEND.  She gets my BEST and my WORST, and few other people get all of that.....and remain my friends....but I guess that's why they are my friends, and I'm theirs! 
 
I'm not Christ, I am an imitator, and imitation of Him, so remember that....as I continue to do my utmost to LOVE GOD, and LOVE (each of) YOU even as it may get lost in translation....if you know me...you know I'm generally trying to whole-heartedly love....I pray you do the same for His GLORY!  LGLP
 

No comments:

Post a Comment