Thursday, March 7, 2013

THRIVE: The Sin Within; Comparison


Oh, don’t worry; we wouldn’t dare say that we are as wonderful as these other men who tell you how important they are! But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as the standard of measurement. How ignorant!  2Cor. 10:12 

It starts off very early....maybe your parents compared you to another sibling...you know " I wish you could or would be more like......"   Then you go off to school and what kid doesn't ask " What did you do this weekend, or what did your mom make you for lunch, or what did you score on your test???"

Then we grow up and we are launched into a world that it's all about comparison....you date and hate comparison....but we all do it.   "She cooked better than, he was more considerate than....nobody does it like my mom, etc" the list of comparing and comparisons go on an on, and what it communicates is devaluing of a person based on somebody else.   We all hate being compared to someone else simply because we are not that person, we are a uniquely crafted creations of God, that is already handicapped with sin, hurts, habits, and hang ups that all really just want to make an enjoyable life.

Pastors can even get sucked into this.....when churches are compared.   When style of teaching/preaching are compared.  When worship styles and preferences are heralded over the simplicity of is the WORD being taught?   We feed that by our comments and compliments and it's sad to say that we, the church, become like the World in comparing something as sacred as worship.  The truth is this...Paul said it's ignorant....that we shouldn't do it....and we all do.....and the question is will you be more consciously aware to begin to try to reign it back.....cause stopping it maybe in and of itself almost impossible....but reducing it.....is a start. 

You know yesterday I talked about the American Idolater...and I can't help as I write this think of the American Idol how it's all about comparing.....asking myself instead of saying "he's/he's better than....why not just say they were both very talented, but I connected with this one."  Which acknowledges the value of them both. 





 You know me.....I enjoy many things and even I' have gotten sucked into comparing something as ridiculous as BBQ (rarely will I turn it down) and at the end of the day....I love BBQ period!  But I love GOD and People way more!  If I have ever dishonored any of you by comparing you to someone else please forgive me and pray that we could all GROW UP, and learn to appreciate each other as fearfully, and wonderfully made individuals of God!  LGLP

No comments:

Post a Comment